IB program and medical school in Sweden

Requirements, application, admission, et cetera.
Gäst

IB program and medical school in Sweden

Inlägg av Gäst »

Hello,

I have a sort of wild question but am looking for some alternatives. The IB program in Sweden is a very good education but the main problem is that it is not given much credit when convertions are made to the Swedish marks and as there is strong competition to get into the medical program IB students dont have much of a chance and are unfortunely going to universities ouside of Sweden mainly Poland. Ib Students in Sweden with science need to complement their studies with a third science this is done at Hermonds in parellel to their courses at IB, such as Physics A and B also for some strange reason SL math in Denmark is not accepted so a way around this is to test in Swedish Math E. This means that on top of the IB program if to be able to apply in Sweden and Denmark one needs to have marks in 2 courses over that in IB. The convertions to get into the medical program demand very high marks in the IB. So here is my question. Since one is already taking Math E and Biiology A and B at Hermonds insterad of taking retakes in IB to get IB marks to extremely high marks, it seems that there maybe another route and that would be to take the Swedish classes that are used for 20.0 marks what courses are needed counted (If one already has taken at Hermonds Physics B (MVG), Mathematiks E (MVG), is it just Chemistry B (MVG) what are the remining items one would need to get MVGs in order to compete in the BII quote (and using Hermonds courses instead of the IB points can one do this? I read at Lund it says "Grundläggande samt Biologi B, Fysik B, Kemi B, Matematik D") I hope I am clear and someone might know about this and if it is a route, the hermonds courses do not take a long time to do especially if one has done the same type of courses at IB.
Användarvisningsbild
Nils
driver läkarstudent.se

Re: IB program and medical school in Sweden

Inlägg av Nils »

Hello!

Besides the basic admission requirements (including a demonstrated proficiency in Swedish or some other Scandinavian language), the specific admission requirements for the Swedish medical programs are the following Swedish courses (or equivalent international merits):
* Biology B
* Chemistry B
* Physics B
* Mathematics D (Mathematics E is not a formal requirement)

On top of that, it is possible to get bonus points (+2.50) on top of your converted grade average (the maximum of which is 20.00 without the bonus points) if you have studied particular courses (primarily English B/C, Mathematics E and modern languages at an advanced level).

I do think the equivalents of all these courses are supposed to be available through Swedish IB programs.

It is also strongly recommended that you take the Swedish SAT ("högskoleprovet") as it would make admission easier; Swedish medical schools generally use the SweSAT result to choose from applicants that happen to have equal grade averages (which is often the case). A sufficiently good SweSAT score is enough for admission by itself, without the grade average mattering at all, provided that the basic and specific admission requirements are fulfilled.

I hope this helped and feel free to ask more questions!
:glad:
Gäst

Inlägg av Gäst »

Nils skrev:Hello!

Besides the basic admission requirements (including a demonstrated proficiency in Swedish or some other Scandinavian language), the specific admission requirements for the Swedish medical programs are the following Swedish courses (or equivalent international merits):
* Biology B
* Chemistry B
* Physics B
* Mathematics D (Mathematics E is not a formal requirement)

On top of that, it is possible to get bonus points (+2.50) on top of your converted grade average (the maximum of which is 20.00 without the bonus points) if you have studied particular courses (primarily English B/C, Mathematics E and modern languages at an advanced level).

I do think the equivalents of all these courses are supposed to be available through Swedish IB programs.

Hello Nils,
I think the question was missunderstood? I understand it as it came to mind for me as well. The question is what particular courses used in the Swedish system (instead of IB) that make up the 20.0 (MVG in each subject/course ((which ones are they)) and if these were taken at Hermonds then one would be placed in BII if MVG was obtained in each course and merit give to the additional items (whihc ones are they) making 2.5 (22.5)? (to replace the IB grades the route of retaking IB (all courses is not really an alternative in IB as you take a test for all 2 years at the end of the year and all of them within 2 weeks) He/she is questioning if one takes Hermonds subjects/course in which one has already had to complement the IB program (Physics B, Math E) is it just to take Chemistry and a few others?
Wiiizzy

Inlägg av Wiiizzy »

Gäst skrev:The question is what particular courses used in the Swedish system (instead of IB) that make up the 20.0
If I understand your question correctly you are asking what makes up the 20.0 in the Swedish system, if you have studied at the Swedish gymnasium and do not incorporate any grades from the IB program whatsoever? If not, disregard my answer.

In the Swedish system 20.0 is an average based on 2500 points worth of courses. In other words 20.0 is typically an average based on all the courses one studies in the Swedish gymnasium.

MVG awards a factor of 20, VG 15, and G 10 for every course. The average is calculated by multiplying the amount of points that the courses are worth with the factor associated with the grade given for said courses. For example a MVG in physics B would give 150*20=3000 and a VG in Chemistry B would result in 100*15=1500. You sum up the results in this manner for all 2500 points worth of courses and divide the sum by 2500. To put it simply, 20.0 is equivalent to MVG in all courses.
Which particular courses are included varies quite a bit. Some of the courses are studied by everyone in Sweden, others depend on what program one studies and some courses can be chosen by the student individually. They all make up the 20.0.
Skriv svar